June 17, 2012

Series of unfortunate events: TWO


Last May, I thought he was, but he turned out to be otherwise.

I’ve know Mr. Asdfgh since fourth year high school. I met him during my cousin’s debut. He was the brother and the chaperone of a friend of the debutante. Knowing that we were on the same year level, she asked me to accompany him for this event so that he won’t get bored or anything like that.

It was awkward at first but he was easy to talk to. He talks a lot, actually. He was the one who entertained me, not the other way around. He was funny and yes, handsome.  But there was no way that we would be together, you know, like boyfriend-girlfriend kind of thing. I was committed that time and he was courting someone as well. We were just friends.

We never tried contacting each other after that night. It was like, I completely forgot him. I’m pretty sure he felt the same way too. Then facebook era came. He was one of those random people you suddenly remember because you’ve got no one left to stalk to and you are just so freaking bored. I added him up, he accepted my friend request but we didn’t interact immediately, until one random day, he asked for my number and invited me to watch one of his games. Soccer. Unfortunately, I was busy that time so I declined.

Systemone summer enlistment came and he surprisingly called me and asked if we could hang out. Since I was just a walk away from his school I said yes. We ate out and he paid for everything! The weird thing was that, it felt like we’ve been friends forever because there were only a few awkward moments, I was comfortable with him. We went out a couple more times, but he neither texts nor calls unless he’s gonna invite me out and it aggravated me!

There was one time when he didn’t bother contacting me and when I finally accepted the fact that it wouldn’t work out because he is not that interested, he called and asked me to go out and drink coffee with him. I am not a coffee lover but I said yes.

The whole set-up was frustrating. What is our status? Are we just friends? Do we have a chance to be together? Because honestly, that time, I was seriously looking for a boyfriend. I know that it’s pathetic; I know that it’s sad, but I’m a girl looking for a chick-flick kind of love story and so I ended it.

He wanted a hang-out buddy, I wanted a boyfriend. It wouldn’t work out. If I gave in to his request, I know that my heart will get broken again because I’ll eventually fall for him. If he gave in to my request, it wouldn’t work out either. He wasn’t fully prepared of the idea of having a girlfriend. He just wanted a company. I’m thankful enough that he didn’t lead me on. He even asked if we can just stay as we are (friends) and enjoy each other’s company which I refused because, yun nga, masasaktan lang ako kasi magkakagusto ako sa kanya kahit na pigilan ko pa.

I know that it’s my fault. Falling for a guy is easy breezy for me, maybe because I’m too willing to do anything to get a boyfriend. I can imagine your forehead cringing. I’m stressed out too. Sadly, this is who I am. I have fully accepted that ‘kalandian’ fiasco. I know that all these happenings will help me be more mature with the thought of being in a relationship. Right now, I wish to focus on something realistic, like my academics and my organization. If I manage my time right, there would be no time for love-smuck stuff.


So love, hope you can wait. 

sincerely yours,
Jo Villanueva 

_____________________________________________________________________________
(c) Jo Villanueva